4.18.2008

I feel the earth move under my feet...

Earthquake anyone? haha What a strange feeling to wake up to. This morning around 5:30 my bed felt like it had wings and was swaying in a hammock motion. My desk was rattling, and outside everything was eerily quiet. Then it was over. A few seconds later the birds started chirping, and I lay in bed wondering what the heck had just happened. Couldn't have been an earthquake... or could it? Did I dream it? No. Surely not. Haha. Well, I didn't. Apparently it was a 5.2 on the scales, and most of Bloomington as well as other parts of Indiana felt it. Indiana hasn't been shaken since 1925. So, on this beautiful Friday morning, the whole campus is abuzz with excitement about a natural phenomenon that usually doesn't happen in these parts too often.


Ok, now for news on other fronts of my life...
First off, this week has been hellish. I've been working my butt of trying to get my thesis manuscript done so that my committee has time to read it before my defense on Wednesday. AND we have a poster session tonight for the entire faculty, and so I needed to have my poster done and printed in advance. Well, it's all done. Yesterday was absolutely gorgeous. The weather has been really beautiful the last few days. I worked my butt of running around the psych building collecting the last draft of my results section from Ed and hurrying to make final final corrections before printing off all 51 pages and making 3 copies of it. But, you know what. It's done. The poster is done, and looks pretty darn cool. It was a huge weight lifted, and I was able to relax the rest of the day.

I'm ready and excited for our poster session tonight. It's a really great opportunity for the faculty and grad students to ask us questions and just talk to us about the work we've spent all year doing. Then they treat us to a nice dinner. I found out earlier in the week that I will be receiving a Excellence In Research award for my efforts this year, and I'm so honored. So, the session will be great prep for defense, and then we're having our 3rd annual Honors Thesis Bar Crawl right after! Wahoo! What way to celebrate with some really great people who I really do love. We're a great group.

In other news, I found out I was not accepted for the Burris assistantship. BOO! But, I'll find something. I'm pretty bummed about it, but life goes on. No time to wallow in that.

Graduation is fast approaching. I'm excited, and yet saddened. I've had an amazing four years here in B-town, and it will certainly be hard to leave that behind and move home for the summer knowing I'll be going somewhere else in the fall. But, such is life, and I can't wait to start the next chapter.

No comments: