8.17.2010

Adventures, etc.

Let me start with Friday...
Friday was the one year anniversary of when we lost Ann. It's a day that I will never forget and one of the worst in my life to date. But, after a good cry and discussion with Alan about it, I decided there was no point in moping around all day and being sad. Ann would not have wanted that. She would want us to be happy and celebrate. So, after pondering what I wanted to do that evening with Alan, I decided what a better way to honor my beloved Auntie Gold than to spend the evening cooking with my amazing other half? So, I decided I would teach him how to make lasagna just like Ann taught me many years ago. And, to top it all off we decided to make some of Grandma's amazing chocolate chip cookies. While we were cooking I was sharing some of my fondest memories about baking cookies with Grandma and Ann when I was growing up. I even had Alan taste some vanilla, which I learned early on smells delicious but does not have a taste to match. The cookies turned out beautifully! They would have been proud. Earlier on in the day, I even caught a bit of a classic movie and one of Ann's favorites, When Harry Met Sally, on TV. It turned out to be a perfect evening and one that I know Ann would have enjoyed. I'm sure she enjoyed watching us cook together, something we do almost every night, and laugh and enjoy life in our new home.
Saturday...
We had plans to get up Saturday morning and head to Harpers Ferry, WV and go tubing down the Potomac River with Dan and AJ, some friends of Alan's who are now friends of mine. Let me just tell you it was an absolute blast! Alan has done some white water rafting as well as some tubing down the river here in WV with his co-workers, and he wanted to go again so that I could join in the fun. I'm so glad we did! It turned out to be somewhat overcast, but it was beautiful. We had our own tubes, complete with head rest and cup holders from beverages, so that made things significantly less complicated. We packed some coolers and launched ourselves down the river. We hit some rocks and some small rapids along the way, but it made for a great Saturday adventure. After grabbing a quick bite to eat and a shower, we headed into DC to meet up with some friends of mine in Georgetown. My dear friend Laura (aka, Fuzz) and her sister came to visit some friends, and we got to catch up with them while they were here visiting. It was so great to see familiar faces. Plus, now I know another Midwest transplant that I can go into DC and do things with! So, we ate dinner at this fantastic little rowing themed place right off of Georgetown's campus. Then he decided to head into DC and tour some of the memorials at night! Again, we had a great time! Alan was in heavan as our personal tourguide, and we got to wander and chat and catch up. It was the perfect ending to a looooooong and exhausting day.

Sunday...

We got the chance to relax for a little bit on Sunday, but Alan was scheduled to dive at the National Aquarium in Baltimore. So, we made plans to buy a couples annual pass and then wander around the aquarium for a bit before he had to go dive. He has had the change to dive here 3 times (I think..) before, but this is the first time that I've been able to be on the other side of the glass watching. I've never seen him dive before. It was SO fun! It was truly beautiful getting to see him swim with the fishies and help out the other divers. I was his fanclub and photographer for the afternoon.

Even though I was exhauted, it was an amazing weekend! We had so much fun and this is exactly the type of adventure we love having together. It's what drew me out to the East Coast. I'm not sure I even thought it was possible to be THIS happy. I am absolutely loving it. It comes with it's fair share of work and unsettling things, but adventures are worth it!
So, now it's Tuesday, and Alan is gone to Kentucky for work for the week. He'll be back on Friday evening. I've decided I have to put my big girl panties on and find some things to do. So, I spend yesterday evening renting some movies and just relaxing, which was grand. Today I did some laundry, cleaning, and watched the last movie. I'm about to head off to Michael's to find something worthy of and art project. I think I've decided I need another hobby. For the time being I have some serious time on my hands. I can only watchin SO much TV before I feel like my brain is rotting and I need a break from reading. So, I'm going to go see what kind of trouble I can get into this afternoon and feed my artist within. :) Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Aunt Cheri said...

SO.....where was MY dinner invite?? haha LOL! Glad you and your "student" had so much fun! I want more pics of his dive. I tried to tell your mom how to "comment" on here----THAT was like talking to a brick wall!!
I LOVE YOU!!!